Observer Status?

Danny Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
Observer Status?
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
So, I see "observer" as my status.  I am a pilot not ATC.  Does my status remain "observer" or does it change as I acquire various pilot rating?  Also, I have passed the ZLA V01 and V02 rating thus far with plans to take VO3 shortly.

Regards,

Danny
Regards,

Danny

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Observer Status?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
So, I see "observer" as my status.
That will depend upon where you were looking. If you use the User Account Services, for example, to check your rating, it should show it as "Pilot/Observer."

Does my status remain "observer" or does it change as I acquire various pilot rating?
The "Rating" here is more aptly described as your controller (or ATC) rating. Obviously, pilot certifications have no bearing on that, hence why you'll see it remain unchanged.

Also, I have passed the ZLA V01 and V02 rating thus far with plans to take VO3 shortly.
Those aren't VATSIM official ratings at all - they're completely separate. Thus, you won't see those show up in any VATSIM-provided data source.

Danny Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Interesting that pilot training offered by a VATSIM associated organization isn't recognized by VATSIM.  No big deal, just interesting.  I have not attempted the VATSIM "P" type training as yet.  I will do so in that I like to test my knowledge and skills.  I am not interested in commercial flight.  My primarily interests involve helicopter flight both VFR and IFR. 

Anyway, thanks again for the information.

Regards,

Danny
Regards,

Danny

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »
Danny, the ZLA pilot training program came years before VATSIM's.  Both offer good pilot training, just attack it different ways.  VATSIM has encouraged ZLA to become an ATO at least a few times over the years.  I can't speak for why ZLA hasn't wanted to do that, but it would be an investment in time to modify the structure/program conform to the VATSIM requirements.  I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "not recognized" as much as it is mutually-respected but not mutually-credited.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA