April Fools! FAA/VATUSA Partnership

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »
Responding to an urgent FAA need, I'm pleased to announce that VATUSA has entered into a new partnership with the FAA, MITRE, and Raytheon Technical Training Services Company to provide top-down ATC training to selected FAA controllers at the TRACON and Center level, effective immediately.

In the press release released last night from the FAA announcing the partnership, we received high praise for our ability to adapt to imperfect staffing levels, and that's precisely what the FAA is facing with the sequestration tower cuts.  "We are thrilled to begin this partnership with VATUSA" said Len Romke, from the FAA Office Of Public Safety.  "VATUSA, and VATSIM, are much more proficient at terminating services than the FAA controllers providing terminal radar control services who, although certified to do so, rarely had the need, and rarely got the practice.  More importantly, and key to the success of this initiative," said Romke, "VATUSA controllers are well versed in the art of providing top-down service.  In spite of the unfortunate circumstances we're being faced with, this is a great opportunity for these controllers to learn how to operate top-down so we can provide ATC down to the ground for the pilots who have been accustomed to such service in the past.  Who knows?  If this works, we may be able to start opening up other airspace that is currently not controlled and provide Tower and below service to dozens, hundreds, more fields.  We've been looking for an opportunity to take over these fields for a long time."

Coding is being finalized as we speak, but ATMs can expect direct-entry roster additions for these real world controllers, who will be arriving with the new ATC rating of S4 to set them apart from everyone else and provide the needed flag that these guys are the real deal.  The expectation, in order for VATUSA to meet its contract requirements, is for these controllers to be provided at least 5 hours of instruction and/or monitoring by VATUSA Instructors and/or Mentors, focused solely on providing top-down service at the affected airfields.  That's it!  Teach the controllers how to use an ATC client and teach Approach and Center controllers how to issue Local control instructions for five hours.  What could be easier?

MITRE and Raytheon Technical Training Services personnel will monitor these controllers online for Quality Control purposes.  When online, they will use the callsigns MIT_OBS and RAY_OBS, respectively.

This is truly a win-win for VATUSA and for the FAA; the FAA will learn new, important skills that are suddenly required by recent real-world events, and VATUSA will pick up upwards of 200 new controllers that, the hope is, will like controlling here enough they stay on with VATUSA for the long term.  These experienced FAA controllers will be able to help us up our game and allow us to provide a more valuable service to the pilots we serve as well.  

I'll publish more info in this thread as more information becomes available, and as questions come up that could use answers that are shared amongst us all.  I hope you're all as excited at this opportunity as I am.  Let's do this!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:42:35 AM by Don Desfosse »

Andrew Wolcott

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:27 AM »
Classic!

April Fools!

Good one Don          
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:32:49 AM by Andrew Wolcott »

John Cierpial

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:32:46 AM »
I can't wait! I know Mr. Romke quite well, glad he provided the statement for this press release

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
But...but...I'm already an I1! If they hire me under this, I get a rating downgrade?!?

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »
No, not at all, Dhruv.  That's honestly one of the points that I never thought of.  With the speed of this deployment needed to respond to this urgent situation, honestly the FAA and VATUSA have decided to deploy the 90% solution in the need for speed, knowing and agreeing that we'd have to work out some of the finer details as we go along.  Anyone accepted into this program by the FAA that already has a C1 or higher rating with VATSIM will maintain their VATSIM rating.  

And, yes, I'd be remiss in not giving John credit for working behind the scenes to help make this the reality that it is today.  Thank you!

Mark Bott

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

I'm such a sucker.... lol....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:10:26 AM by Mark A. Bott »

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »
Is that sarcasm Mark or seriousness?

Nice post thought guys! Now only if you could make the VATUSA page look like a geocities page for the day.

Francis Dube

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »
Does the contract state what your BAC level must be to provide training to these FAA controllers? I mean I am totally on board with us going ahead with this but I think we need to get some of the details out there to really make this an attractive proposition.

I knew I would find a gem on here, this one is pretty good my friend!

Stephen O'Hara

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
I hate being in a different timezone,  daylight savings has me all confused,  humm
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:40:07 AM by Stephen O Hara »

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
Quote from: Rick Rump
Is that sarcasm Mark or seriousness?  

Nice post thought guys! Now only if you could make the VATUSA page look like a geocities page for the day.

He's being serious.  Someone has to pick up the ball and run with it against the grain whenever VATUSA issues a directive such as this without the usual and customary month's worth of postings, meetings and skype calls to evaluate the pros and cons of such a potentially dangerous unilateral decision!

After all, that may be your grandmother on that plane the I am controlling!!!  

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
I am more surprised the FAA did not publish this in the Federal Register yet -- I am an avid reader

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »

Jeffrey Jaynes

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
Interesting proposition by the FAA. On one hand I can see the good press for the VATSIM/VATUSA community. But, like Ira, I can also see the "grandmother" scenario.

Headlines read:  "Due to Sequestration FAA outsources Controller Training to Online Gamers."

The public already thinks that Air Traffic Controllers are the only reason airplanes can fly.... PFM or something... but this probably won't look the best for the FAA if/when the media gets a hold of it.

I am honestly not trying to bash our online community in this post, far from it. I just see the irony in allowing a bunch of "controllers" to teach a bunch of controllers. I mean... for goodness sake. I'm the DATM of my facility, but I've never been an ATC, never had any formal ATC training, and realize that the Online community can be drastically different from the real world. That's not to say I don't know what I'm doing, but I can guarantee there are parts of the 7110.65 that doesn't get used on VATSIM... for a darn good reason.

Like I said... interesting proposition. I'm looking forward to a challenge...

JJ

Kenneth Bambach

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
I'm looking at the date on my calendar and it say's April 1.    Hmmmmmm.........I hope there's no connection  

Kyle Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I found that entertaining.