new to ATC

John Hendren

• Members
    • View Profile
new to ATC
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »
Hi,i want to be a ATC,i'd like to be in NY,so JFK or La Guardia.what do i need to do to start my training and get S1 and how do i get VRC setup?

Jacob Perez

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: new to ATC
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA, if you want to be ATC you can start here http://old.vatusa.net/join1.php , as for setting up VRC, every ARTCC does it a little differently so if you get accepted in to ZNY they will have more detailed instructions for you.

Happy controlling, I hope to see you on the scopes,

Jacob Perez - JP
I1 | ZJX Events Coordinator | ZJX Asst. Training Administrator

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: new to ATC
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Hi,i want to be a ATC,i'd like to be in NY,so JFK or La Guardia.what do i need to do to start my training and get S1 and how do i get VRC setup?

Hello John,
Welcome to VATUSA.

As Jacob said, sign up via the link provided and select ZNY as the preferred facility. If accepted to ZNY, which is likely as there needs to be a darn good reason to not take someone, you will receive further instructions from the ZNY staff.

Just as an aside. Learning ATC at any facility takes a great deal of dedication, patience, and self study outside of lessons. Even more so at ZNY given the complexity of their airspace the amount of network traffic they see.

Keep a positive attitude, be willing to work really hard, and remember to have fun. Do this and you will do just fine!
Matt Bartels - MT
VP Marketing and Communication
VATSIM Board of Governors