Obtaining TRACON files for Military bases

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
Obtaining TRACON files for Military bases
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
I'm looking to eventually make a sector file diagram for Campbell Approach (HOP_APP, KHOP), but I'm at a bit of a dead end...  Can't seem to find the TRACON layout anywhere.  This could be a "dumb" question, but I'll take the risk of judgment:  How difficult is it to get positive results by calling the ATC facility and asking for the TRACON data for conversion to VATSIM sector files?

I'd imagine that the facility, being military, would be very protective of their information.

Anyone able to shed some light?

Thanks in advance.

Jacob Perez

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining TRACON files for Military bases
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
Not hard at all, all you have to do is call them or email them and they will be happy to give you the TRACON map? I assume you mean video map? They may, however ask you to submit an FOI (Freedom of Information) request. Which legally binds them to produce the map for you since the FAA is a government organization.

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Thanks, Jacob.  Video map was the word I was searching for....   #BrainFart

I'll give them a call and see what we can do.

Jacob Perez

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
No problem Tony! Always happy to help a fellow VATSIM-er out  ;D

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »
A FOIA for airport information normally yields good results, just do not mention Vatsim or they will charge you for it because they have grouped Vatsim in with Pilot Edge. If the facility you are wanting files for is military it becomes much more difficult to obtain files for security reasons. Good luck.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »
A FOIA for airport information normally yields good results, just do not mention Vatsim or they will charge you for it because they have grouped Vatsim in with Pilot Edge. If the facility you are wanting files for is military it becomes much more difficult to obtain files for security reasons. Good luck.

A domestic RAPCON?  DoD runs a lot of domestic airspace (http://www.afceaboston.com/documents/events/cnsatm2011/Briefs/01-Monday/07-Wadas-HBAG%20NationalAirspaceSystemOverview.pdf page 20).  There is little to no security concerns over the facility diagrams in most of these facilities.  It's just a pain in the ass to get the FOIA request completed successfully if you don't word it correctly.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Yeah, three out of four of our facilities are in there and we were very politely told to take a hike when we requested information for them.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »

A domestic RAPCON?  DoD runs a lot of domestic airspace (http://www.afceaboston.com/documents/events/cnsatm2011/Briefs/01-Monday/07-Wadas-HBAG%20NationalAirspaceSystemOverview.pdf page 20).  There is little to no security concerns over the facility diagrams in most of these facilities.  It's just a pain in the ass to get the FOIA request completed successfully if you don't word it correctly.

RAPCONs are Air Force (Navy and Marines are RATCFs and Army is ARAC), and that link shows all military sites, not necessarily military approach controls.  For example, New Orleans is listed as Navy but the Navy base does only GCA and tower.  Pensacola is listed but only does GCA and SUA over the Gulf of Mexico. New Orleans and Pensacola approaches are FAA facilities (MSY ATCT/TRACON and P31 respectively).