Help me find qualified Instructors for VATSTAR...?

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Help me find qualified Instructors for VATSTAR...?
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »
Greetings --

I wonder if I might enlist the assistance of my colleagues here.

VATSTAR is an Authorized Training Organization which offers the VATSIM P1 through P5 ratings.  Aside from the P1 (which is a self-guided automated lesson sequence), we rely on one-on-one meetings between Students and Instructors to deliver the classroom and practical instruction that our program dictates.  Of late, we have become somewhat short-handed among our Instructor ranks, and we've just been given notice of another pending resignation due to family reasons.

We have had notices posted on this forum among others, as well as on our own website,  advertising openings for the Instructor position for many weeks now.  But passive advertising seems to be falling short.  So, I wonder if I might enlist your assistance in helping us identify and actively recruit pilots on the network who might be interested in becoming an Instructor.

The general requirements for the position are that candidates must have one year of experience on the network and a minimum of 150 flying hours, as well as the P1 and P2 pilot ratings.  The time commitment to the position is an average of 6 hours per week.

I appreciate any assistance you might lend.  Please have any potential candidates contact me at [email protected].

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Re: Help me find qualified Instructors for VATSTAR...?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
The time commitment to the position is an average of 6 hours per week.
Hi again -- so, in the brief time since I posted this, my staff identified the time commitment as one reason why retention is such an issue, and after brief discussion, I accept their assessment.  So as you pass the word, let any potential candidates know that the obligation will initially be 6 hours (3x2hr per week) but will reduce permanently to 4 hours (2x2hr per week) shortly after their hire.  Hopefully that'll help a few that were borderline about it due to the time commitment to go ahead and give it a try.  Thanks again for your help!

Hall Chris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
I'm somewhat new to Vatsim so forgive my ignorance, but is this to help the pilot side? I've noticed that most people, while doing their best, aren't exactly doing this correctly. I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll say it again here. I have my ATP, flying for my second airline and would be happy to help if you need someone to instruct people on proper radio procedures and/or procedures in general.

I just saw you're treating this like a real life job. This is just for fun and I do this for a living so I won't commit to a schedule but if you want the help, I'm willing. I highly doubt you're going to get people that aren't under 21 to commit to a "have to be there" type schedule. Let me know.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:28:16 PM »
Chris, I responded also to your direct email but I'll comment here just for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading.

Yes, we do this as a hobby, but we also take our role seriously when it comes to helping pilots improve their knowledge and skill, and ability to fly realistically on the network.  After all, that's the goal of the network and not everyone comes in knowing how to do all of that on their own without some assistance.  That's why VATSIM created the pilot ratings.

The commitment that I'm looking for is a pair of two-hour blocks per week, for a total of four hours -- but at any time that you should choose, 24/7, without restriction.  You can do the same times every week, or not, at completely your own whim and discretion. The flip side of that is that you would have to commit to those two-hour blocks up to approximately 10 days in advance, so that students can select from instructors' available times to meet one-on-one.

I dispute your claim that no one over the age of 21 would be interested in doing this.  I do have two college-age instructors on staff, but the median age is probably around 30 -- and I myself, our PR person, and my senior instructor are all in our early forties.

Perhaps your perspective is a bit different because you fly for a living, but I myself am "grounded" and therefore devote a great deal of passion into this hobby.  Maybe that fuels my willingness to commit my personal time to this.  If it's not for you, that's fine -- but if you encounter anyone who you think would be a good fit and interested in helping us out, I would appreciate it greatly if you would refer them our way.

Tomas Hansson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
I dispute your claim that no one over the age of 21 would be interested in doing this.  I do have two college-age instructors on staff, but the median age is probably around 30 -- and I myself, our PR person, and my senior instructor are all in our early forties.

Thanks for the compliment Rob but actually I just turned 50!  ;D

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
I myself, our PR person, and my senior instructor are all in our early forties.
Thanks for the compliment Rob but actually I just turned 50!  ;D
Well crap.  When I saw the alert that you had responded to this topic, I was worried maybe I'd OVER-sold you.  Heh.

Hall Chris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
Chris, I responded also to your direct email but I'll comment here just for the benefit of anyone else who may be reading.

Yes, we do this as a hobby, but we also take our role seriously when it comes to helping pilots improve their knowledge and skill, and ability to fly realistically on the network.  After all, that's the goal of the network and not everyone comes in knowing how to do all of that on their own without some assistance.  That's why VATSIM created the pilot ratings.

The commitment that I'm looking for is a pair of two-hour blocks per week, for a total of four hours -- but at any time that you should choose, 24/7, without restriction.  You can do the same times every week, or not, at completely your own whim and discretion. The flip side of that is that you would have to commit to those two-hour blocks up to approximately 10 days in advance, so that students can select from instructors' available times to meet one-on-one.

Perhaps your perspective is a bit different because you fly for a living, but I myself am "grounded" and therefore devote a great deal of passion into this hobby.  Maybe that fuels my willingness to commit my personal time to this.  If it's not for you, that's fine -- but if you encounter anyone who you think would be a good fit and interested in helping us out, I would appreciate it greatly if you would refer them our way.

We've already spoken and set up a date to talk. I however, wanted to say this. Most professional pilots that I know, including myself, do it for the passion and have spent a great deal of time, and suffering, to commit to doing things correctly. All I meant is that I don't have as much time as someone that does this for a hobby to get, not sure how to say this, online ratings, for things that I do professionally. (that sounded worse than I intended) I want to help those that fly. While flying on Vatsim I've heard a lot of things that just aren't correct, on both sides, pilots and ATC and would like to get things moved more to the side of realism.