Greetings All!

Jacob Mills

• Members
    • View Profile
Greetings All!
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
Hello everyone, My name is Jake and i'm an aspiring Air Traffic Controller who is an idiot and fails his test by 4% because he forgot how to read weather code and was too head strong to look it up in the book!

Anyway in 3 days time I hope to be ready to go once I can retake my test. I haven't decided on my Facility yet, I live in Wisconsin so I was considering Minnesota but who knows really. I may end up going with Denver though because I lived there as  kid.

But, yeah, just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to see you guys out there some day soon!

William Anderson

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings All!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:46 PM »
Most of the responses you're going to get are pretty bias so I'll just go ahead and start:

Atlanta is super fun and you have a great ATM over there :)
Will Anderson
Atlanta Center
Air Traffic Manager

web - http://atlantacenter.net
email [email protected]

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
Most of the responses you're going to get are pretty bias so I'll just go ahead and start:

Atlanta is super fun and you have a great ATM over there :)

Biased?  In VATUSA?  Naw...  ;D

LOL

Welcome to the world of ATC, Jacob!  If you ever need anything, reach out to us :)
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
Hey Jacob, welcome to VATUSA!
Hello everyone, My name is Jake and i'm an aspiring Air Traffic Controller who is an idiot and fails his test by 4% because he forgot how to read weather code and was too head strong to look it up in the book!
Don't be so hard on yourself. I can say that most people have failed a written exam at some point. I got a 60% on the basic ATC quiz back in the day and I'm an Instructor now. You'll just retake, pass it, and soon enough you'll be starting your training.

I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you decide to go, whether its Minneapolis, Denver, or somewhere else!

Jacob Mills

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:37:30 PM »
I'm just so overwhelmed right now, i thought why not tune in to a tower and listen in to get the jist of it while i'm just sitting here but I can't figure out the program to save my friggin life honestly.

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
I'm just so overwhelmed right now, i thought why not tune in to a tower and listen in to get the jist of it while i'm just sitting here but I can't figure out the program to save my friggin life honestly.
Try visiting here and taking a look at Chapter 2 - Software and VRC Setup.

Jacob Mills

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
Try visiting here and taking a look at Chapter 2 - Software and VRC Setup.

I did that already, the problem is finding the files to be able to listen in. I want to listen in on Boston right now (Becuase their active at this moment) but I can't figure out how to tune in through the program

Russell DeSpain

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm just so overwhelmed right now, i thought why not tune in to a tower and listen in to get the jist
I did that already, the problem is finding the files to be able to listen in. I want to listen in on Boston right now (Becuase their active at this moment) but I can't figure out how to tune in through the program
I see that you've spent some time online as a pilot today, which is honestly the best way just to listen to frequencies on the network. You can simply log on, sit on the ground at an airport close to where you want to listen in, and then tune the frequency.

Also, once you select a facility, the training staff there will help you set up your radar client and start the training program. No one here got to where they are on their own. We have all relied on people in order to get through the process. Don't get me wrong, we would love to have you in Indianapolis, but you really cannot go wrong with any ARTCC in VATUSA. If you would like to go to Minneapolis or Denver, I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms and help you start your training.
Russell DeSpain
ZID Facilities Engineer - C1
VATSIM P1 Pilot