Meg Bruck

• ZTL Staff
    • View Profile
Atlanta Center FNO
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »

The Atlanta Center Presents:
a VATUSA Friday Night Operations Event
Charlotte LIVE!

Friday, June 9, 2300z-0300z (7:00pm-11:00pm EDT)

Live! events have been a long running tradition in the The Atlanta Center ARTCC and for those who know what its like, its a blast! We call it a Live event, not because our controllers are meeting up, in person, for a "live" controlling event, but because we are simulating how live we can make the airspace!

For the second summer in a row, Charlotte will be staffed up from Clearance to Center by the always professional and friendly Atlanta Center Controllers from 2300 to at least 0300 zulu, Friday June 9th.

A PILOT BRIEFING WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE SOON. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON.

PREFERRED ROUTES UPDATED

CLT -> ATL   BOBZY2 TNSLY LEAVI WINNG1
ATL -> CLT   PHIIL2 PHIIL CNTLR JONZE1 KCLT
CLT -> BHM   ESTRR2 IPTAY  CHOPZ ATL VUZ
BHM -> CLT   BHM6 BESTT JONZE1
CLT -> BOS   BARMY2 RDU THHMP MAAXY OOD J42 RBV J222 JFK ROBUC2
BOS -> CLT   PATSS4 PATSS NELIE CMK J75 GVE LYH CHSLY2 KCLT
CLT -> DCA   KILNS2 AUDII WAVES CAPSS2
DCA -> CLT   SCRAM3 LYH CHSLY2 KCLT
CLT -> DTW   HUGO ROBAY BKW GEMNI4
DTW -> CLT   ROD FLM TAFTT PARQR2 KCLT
CLT -> IAD   KILNS2 AUDII DORRN CAVLR3
IAD -> CLT   SCRAM3 LYH CHSLY2
CLT -> JFK   BARMY2 TYI ORF J121 SIE CAMRN4
JFK -> CLT   RBV J230 J75 GVE LYH MAJIC1
CLT -> LGA   BARMY2 RDU J55 HPW J191 PXT KORRY3
LGA -> CLT   BIGGY J75 GVE LYH MAJIC1
CLT -> MCO   ICONS2 BLDWN SAV J103  OMN CWRLD4
MCO -> CLT   MCCOY SAV STOCR1
CLT -> MIA   ICONS2 BLDWN SAV J103  OMN HILEY6
MIA -> CLT   HEDLY2 HEDLY J53 CRG J51  SAV STOCR1
CLT -> ORD   JOJJO2 DOOGE Q63 HEVAN MZZ VEECK3
ORD -> CLT   EARND ELANR EMMLY ERECO IIU SKYWA FILPZ2

For more information please visit www.atlantacenter.net
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:46:54 AM by Meg Bruck »
Meg Bruck
Event Coordinator
Virtual Atlanta ARTCC

Maxwell Falk

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Atlanta Center FNO
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
Dont forget to pickup a copy of Fsdreamteam's new KCLT!!! One of the best scenery releases in years!!

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_kclt.html

Nicholas Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:29:44 PM »

1 WEEK TO GO!

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
Maybe I'm thinking a bit much in to it, but wouldn't calling this a "live" dilute the value or appeal of the actual live events?

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »
I think what Atlanta is aiming for here is a "real-ops" type of event, simulating real-world traffic loads at the time of the event. Whereas "Live" has always been a term used for in-person, live controlling events such as the annual events many ARTCCs host.

William Anderson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:43:55 AM »

We call it a Live event, not because our controllers are meeting up, in person, for a "live" controlling event, but because we are simulating how live we can make the airspace!

@Matthew
Will Anderson
Atlanta Center
Air Traffic Manager

web - http://atlantacenter.net
email [email protected]

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

We call it a Live event, not because our controllers are meeting up, in person, for a "live" controlling event, but because we are simulating how live we can make the airspace!

@Matthew

I saw that.  Hence my question -- You clearly state that it's not a Live, yet call it a Live.

Camden's thought of it being a "real-ops" is likely closer, but that term is evidently muddy as I learned when asking what Cleveland intended with theirs.  Apparently our European brethren use the term when flying RW timetables, whereas we seem to use it when trying to get bukus of traffic.  I'm personally now a fan of what Ian did with ZDV's last FNO -- it had no theme in particular (other than being busy and staffed) and was just called an FNO.  Short, sweet, and to the point.

While I seem to have taken a keen interest in something rather unusual (event names), I suppose just rather see people put effort in to the right endeavors (staffing, planning, etc.) rather than misrepresent an event (or degrade the effort put in by those that organize the actual live events -- I know they put in quite a bit of effort **well** above and beyond what any other event requires) through the name for some unknown reason.

William Anderson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
Hopefully this will be able to clarify, as apparently the description already provided isn't sufficient.

It has been a tradition in the ARTCC to not call our event "Real Ops" or something to the effect. We have called our events Atlanta Live! and Charlotte Live! for years now, and this is the first time it has been questioned. Why? Because it doesn't go with what other ARTCC's are doing.

As explained in the description, we are aiming to simulate how much we can bring the ARTCC and the airspace surrounding the featured airport to "Life". For other ARTCC's, Live means meeting up and controlling in one room together. To Atlanta Center controllers it means something completely different, thus in the future, we will still be calling these events Atlanta Live! or Charlotte Live!

I hope this clarifies the issue a little better.  I do want to apologize to anyone who gets offended by this post, but we all have better things to be doing rather than critiquing a name for a simple event.
Will Anderson
Atlanta Center
Air Traffic Manager

web - http://atlantacenter.net
email [email protected]

Nicholas Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Hopefully this will be able to clarify, as apparently the description already provided isn't sufficient.

It has been a tradition in the ARTCC to not call our event "Real Ops" or something to the effect. We have called our events Atlanta Live! and Charlotte Live! for years now, and this is the first time it has been questioned. Why? Because it doesn't go with what other ARTCC's are doing.

As explained in the description, we are aiming to simulate how much we can bring the ARTCC and the airspace surrounding the featured airport to "Life". For other ARTCC's, Live means meeting up and controlling in one room together. To Atlanta Center controllers it means something completely different, thus in the future, we will still be calling these events Atlanta Live! or Charlotte Live!

I hope this clarifies the issue a little better.  I do want to apologize to anyone who gets offended by this post, but we all have better things to be doing rather than critiquing a name for a simple event.

I wholeheartedly agree with Will here.  ZTL has been running Atlanta Live for longer than I have been on the network.  If we are now criticizing the nomenclature ARTCC's use for events, then I would suggest that VATUSA make a ruling as to the official name of FNOs be just that, the FNO;  However, I should note, making this ruling will be the downfall of the FNO event itself.  Restricting something as silly as the name will cause USA's most well known event to become a stagnant pond.  Just my two cents...

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »

I understand where you're coming from, but I only question it due to the commonly accepted VATSIM vernacular.  It hasn't been questioned before?  Great!  I hadn't considered it until now.  Nobody else had thought to question it before, either apparently.  If we're not allowed to question things, what are we doing here in the first place?  Most things aren't questioned until somebody bothers to ask the question.

Frankly, if we can't have these kinds of discussions anymore, VATUSA isn't a place I want to be anymore.  I've already had one thread where I posed a question against the grain get locked.  That's not a precedent we should encourage.

I wholeheartedly agree with Will here.  ZTL has been running Atlanta Live for longer than I have been on the network.  If we are now criticizing the nomenclature ARTCC's use for events, then I would suggest that VATUSA make a ruling as to the official name of FNOs be just that, the FNO;  However, I should note, making this ruling will be the downfall of the FNO event itself.  Restricting something as silly as the name will cause USA's most well known event to become a stagnant pond.  Just my two cents...

Live events have been going on longer than you've been on the network.

I'm not suggesting that the names be restricted to "FNO" only, but if you're not going to theme it (as others do... regional themes, event themes, something to excite and encourage participation), riding the coat tails of others is unoriginal at best, and doing nothing to promote or grow the concept of the FNO.  Pilots like the appeal of a small conference room full of sweaty controllers for whatever reason.

Nicholas Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »
I'm not suggesting that the names be restricted to "FNO" only, but if you're not going to theme it (as others do... regional themes, event themes, something to excite and encourage participation), riding the coat tails of others is unoriginal at best, and doing nothing to promote or grow the concept of the FNO.  Pilots like the appeal of a small conference room full of sweaty controllers for whatever reason.

First off, this makes absolutely no sense.  If I call an event a "Crossfire" I'm no more or less riding the coat tails of others than calling it a "Live" event.  Secondly, I believe we are expanding and promoting the concept of the FNO.  We produce Teaser Trailers and full on Press Kits for each of our FNOs, does anybody else? Nope!  Third, the concept of Atlanta Live is a pretty original idea, although it may seem to others that it's similar to other "Real World Ops" Events, we like to think it was homegrown in Atlanta.  In fact, based on the word of some senior controllers in the ARTCC, Atlanta Live has been around for 10+ years.  I find it very disturbing that you are so engrossed in a simple matter of nomenclature, that you can't see beyond your own delusions that we are somehow polluting the sanctity of Friday Night Operations.  Atlanta & Charlotte Live are some of the busiest events we have within ZTL and if our "marketing department" (because that's really what Events is) chooses to call it a Live event, then so be it.

Well no $#!t Sherlock.  That's not what I was saying.  I was saying Atlanta Live has been around for a long time, just how long is indicated above.  In defense of Mr. Anderson who had mentioned no one had an issue with it before, I have to agree.  It seems to me this is nothing more than an attempt to stir proverbial pot.

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »

First off, this makes absolutely no sense.  If I call an event a "Crossfire" I'm no more or less riding the coat tails of others than calling it a "Live" event.  Secondly, I believe we are expanding and promoting the concept of the FNO.  We produce Teaser Trailers and full on Press Kits for each of our FNOs, does anybody else? Nope!  Third, the concept of Atlanta Live is a pretty original idea, although it may seem to others that it's similar to other "Real World Ops" Events, we like to think it was homegrown in Atlanta.  In fact, based on the word of some senior controllers in the ARTCC, Atlanta Live has been around for 10+ years.  I find it very disturbing that you are so engrossed in a simple matter of nomenclature, that you can't see beyond your own delusions that we are somehow polluting the sanctity of Friday Night Operations.  Atlanta & Charlotte Live are some of the busiest events we have within ZTL and if our "marketing department" (because that's really what Events is) chooses to call it a Live event, then so be it.

Well no $#!t Sherlock.  That's not what I was saying.  I was saying Atlanta Live has been around for a long time, just how long is indicated above.  In defense of Mr. Anderson who had mentioned no one had an issue with it before, I have to agree.  It seems to me this is nothing more than an attempt to stir proverbial pot.

No need to devolve to profanity here, especially while representing your ARTCC and VATUSA.  If any kind of dissenting opinion is simply going to perceived as nothing more than stirring the pot, then we have a larger cultural issue to solve.  I'm asking because it perked my interest -- an in a special interest, online community, what's the harm in that?

If you called it a crossfire without a participating partner (or featuring two airports), then it would be riding those coattails, you're right.  And to say ZTL is the original?  I think Boston might take some offense to that.

Nicholas Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
No need to devolve to profanity here, especially while representing your ARTCC and VATUSA.

Matthew,  let me be extremely clear here.  Do not pretend to know what is best for Atlanta or how Atlanta should be represented.  That is the job of the ATM and myself.  I would not expect someone who is not a member of staff to understand that, so let me further explain.  It is part of my duties and responsibilities to represent and defend, when needed, Atlanta's ideals and traditions.  Your question was answered, and yet you proceed to pushback.  Hence my accusation of stirring the pot. 

I'm sorry if our naming convention doesn't fall in line with your idea of the proper nomenclature for events, but what this boils down to is semantics and quite honestly I'm done spending another minute of my very valuable time dealing with such a frivolous endeavor.

I wish you well and hope to see you on Friday night, if you can just make it past mere semantics.

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Well no $#!t Sherlock.

Do not pretend to know what is best for Atlanta or how Atlanta should be represented.  That is the job of the ATM and myself.

I think your ATM would agree that one way Atlanta should not be represented (along with any other ARTCC or VATSIM subset) is through profanity on a public forum, especially when it's coupled with an attitude.

Let's carry on from this discussion. Have a fantastic night on Friday, ZTL!  :)

See you on the scopes,

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
Good luck, Atlanta!
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager