Join as ATC
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to consider joining the Virtual Air Traffic
USA Division (VATUSA). This network represents the single, most complex airspace in the world
featuring 2015's world's
most busiest airport, and 4 of the top 10 (according to Airports Council International). Each day,
on average, over 2,000,000
passengers traverse across the US airspace on Air Transport (followed by China at just over 1
million, and the UK at 350,000).
How do I become a controller in VATUSA?
- Join VATSIM at www.vatsim.net
- Join the North America region - United States Division. If you are a VATSIM member, but not yet
a member of VATUSA,
there are two options:
- If you are a member of the North America region, but different division like VATCAN or
VATCAR, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to continue.
- If you are a member of a different region, head over to Region Change Request and
fill out the form.
This process is not immediate and can take 4-7 days to complete.
After you join the VATUSA division, you must complete the "Basic/S1 Exam." Click on the "Assign Basic ATC Exam" under "My VATUSA" to be assigned the exam. If it's already assigned, that link will not appear. Go to "Exam Center" under "My VATUSA".
Before you complete the exam, you must complete the "Block 1 - Basic ATC/S1" Computer Based Training (CBT) course. This can be found at https://www.vatusa.net/cbt. ALL items under Block 1 must be checked complete before you will be permitted to start the exam.
- After completing the initial exam, you will be able to join your first facility. VATUSA is
made up of 21 ARTCCs and 1 CCF
[realworld FAA includes 2 CENRAPs, Guam which is under jurisdiction of Honolulu Combined Control
Facility and San Juan CENRAP which is part of VATCAR on VATSIM].
To join your first facility, go to "My VATUSA" in the Navigation Bar, then select "Join
- Before you will obtain your S1 rating, you must complete training and an over-the-shoulder examination at your initial facility. After joining, the process will be explained to you further.
NOTE: It may take up to 48 hours for new, reactived or transferred members to be processed and sent to VATUSA through server synchronization. Please allow 48 hours to elapse before submitting support tickets.